Monday, September 24, 2012

[Book Review] Holding Out For A Hero by Stacey Joy Netzel

Summary (from Amazon):
Kelsie Newman meets the man of her dreams at the beginning of a really, really bad day, so excuse her for not recognizing him. Good thing she's a smart girl and a quick learner. When he rescues her from her Good Samaritan act gone bad later that same day, she doesn't make the same mistake twice.


If you’ve been following my last couple of book reviews, you know that I’m trying to reach the highest number in my “books read in 2012” list, but with school, that’s proven to be kind of difficult. So, if I find a short story that looks like it’s good and won’t take up much of my time, I’ll download it.

Plot: Words cannot express how much I loved this story. I felt like this was just the read I needed for my current mood. Similar to the main character, I tend to be negative about every little thing I see, but luckily that is all changed halfway through the short story. Kelsie, the main character, begins to see things differently and not taking even the smallest things for granted. I read this at the beginning of the week, on a Monday to be exact. So, I feel like this is the positive attitude for the next following week and hopefully for more time after that.   

Characters:I’ve gotten to that point in writing where I don’t expect to grow too attached to characters. A lot of the books that I’ve started (and never finished) have caused me to do that. But being that this was a one sitting book, I felt a better connection to the characters. I even found myself relating to Kelsie on more than one occasion. How the heck the author managed to do that in such a short passage, amazes me.

Romance: Sometimes second chances make for a better introduction. I love how the author shows that you don’t always make the first impression, but that doesn’t mean that it’s over.

Creative way of writing: Like I said before, the author has an amazing way of making the audience (or at least me) relate to the characters. She also did a wonderful job of putting a lot of themes in her story to hopefully improve someone’s way of looking at life. It almost feels like I was reading a feel good inspirational story, if truth be told.

Blogger’s Note: This is free on Amazon right now. I don’t know how long this will last so check it out!


5 out of 5 stars to Holding Out For A Hero by Stacey Joy Netzel

No comments:

Post a Comment