Wednesday, October 31, 2012

[Book Review] Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick



Summary (on Goodreads):

A SACRED OATH

A FALLEN ANGEL

A FORBIDDEN LOVE

Romance was not part of Nora Grey's plan. She's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how hard her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her. Not until Patch comes along. With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Patch draws Nora to him against her better judgment.



The last couple of angels books that I’ve read didn’t quite seem as good I’d hoped they would be. I had high hopes for them that they did not meet. With that in mind, I didn’t have much hope in yet another fallen angel book. But I was completely wrong to think in that manner. Not only did Hush, Hush surpass all of the other angel books, but it also made it to my top 10 favorite book list. I’ve read close to 40 (36 to be exact) books/short stories this year and this one surely makes it to the top 3. 

Why? I feel like every single one of the factors below are what all together made me love the book so much. Characters made the relationships better. Relationships made the romance better. The romance made the plot better. Lastly, the plot made the writing better. 

Characters: I felt like the characters were very alive. A lot of times, I’ll read a book and feel no attachment to the characters what so ever. One way that let me know I was really liking (or hating) the characters was when I found myself arguing with the decisions they would make. That’s when I know the author has written realistic characters. 

Relationships: I really enjoyed Vee and Nora’s friendship. They bickered from time to time, but were there for each other when it counted just like real friends. They didn’t approve of the other’s boyfriend (or boy-friend) and weren’t afraid to vocalize it to each other.  One relationship that I would love to see more in the continuing books of the series is Nora and her mother. I felt like there was so much potential for a great mother-daughter relationship, but didn’t understand why it wasn’t there.  

Romance: I thoroughly loved the romance between Nora and Patch. Their relationship begins with bantering, secrecy, and all the good stuff a YA supernatural reader loves to read. Everyone from Nora’s best friend to the school counselor are counting against the pair coming together, but even then that doesn’t stop the readers from wanting them to be together.    

Plot: Right from the start, it caught my attention. I didn’t have to wait 50 (or on some occasions more) pages for the good stuff to happen. And the good stuff kept on coming. There was no boring gap (and for a big book at 300++ pages, that’s rare) in the middle.  

Writing: I have to admit, I was too caught up in the plot and what was going on to really pay attention to any special things to point out in the writing. I loved the book. I think that should say enough.


5 out of 5 stars for Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick.



Last Friday, I had to the wonderful opportunity of meeting Becca Fitzpatrick. One of the things that I took from this event was how funny she was. While most authors shy away from admitting    that some of their characters are based on people they know in real life, she was completely open about it. She even admitted that some characters/scenes had to do with old crushes. Drew Doyon, the model for the covers aka Patch was also there too. When my iPod decided to start acting up when it came time to take my picture with him, he offered to take the picture with his phone and post it on Twitter. That was super sweet of him!   


No comments:

Post a Comment