Monday, August 20, 2012

[Guest Blogger Book Review] Undead by Kirsty McKay

Summary (from Amazon):
Out of sight, out of their minds: It's a school-trip splatter fest and completely not cool when the other kids in her class go all braindead on new girl Bobby.
The day of the ski trip, when the bus comes to a stop at a roadside restaurant, everyone gets off and heads in for lunch. Everyone, that is, except Bobby, the new girl, who stays behind with rebel-without-a-clue Smitty.
Then hours pass. Snow piles up. Sun goes down. Bobby and Smitty start to flirt. Start to stress. Till finally they see the other kids stumbling back.
But they've changed. And not in a good way. Straight up, they're zombies. So the wheels on the bus better go round and round freakin' fast, because that's the only thing keeping Bobby and Smitty from becoming their classmates' next meal. It's kill or be killed in these hunger games, heads are gonna roll, and homework is most definitely gonna be late.
Combining the chill of THE SHINING, the thrill ride of SPEED, the humor of SHAUN OF THE DEAD, and the angst of THE BREAKFAST CLUB, Kirsty McKay's UNDEAD is a bloody mad mash-up, a school-trip splatter-fest, a funny, gory, frighteningly good debut!




I received this book as a gift from my good friend Rebeca Valdez, an amazing girl who loves to read and is also a writer. Rebeca or “Becky” knows that I am not a reader, in fact I started reading this year when I bought “The Hunger Games” and I started to get into those types of books. Becky went to a book fair and she was given this book, I believe they are called ARC? Anyway… Becky knows I love Zombies and that is why she gave me this book.
The plot of this book is really good it hooked me from the first chapter! I had a really busy month when I started reading it, if not I would have kept on reading it and not set it down until I was done with it! The book is not lacking anything, there are no plot holes and the whole book is easy to read. One of my favorite things about this book is that we know how the outbreak started and what caused it. A lot of zombies shows and or movies I have seen left me wanting more, asking a lot of questions but this book does not let down!
I love how the author describes every character. The book has the heroine Roberta or “Bobby”, a love interest who is also kind of the rebel without a cause Smitty, the snobby cheerleader Alice or “malice” and the nerdy albino Pete. There are some other minor characters but even their characters or roles are important and add a lot to the book.
I am not into romance that much but I enjoyed the way Smitty flirts with Bobby and how Bobby is conflicted with the situation ( I mean they are in the middle of a zombie apocalype after all…). The Author does a good job at leting the reader know that Smitty does care for Bobby event though he can be a jackass from time to time. The romance is not overwhelming but it is there and it is enjoyable.
I give it a 4.5 out of 5 stars.

Blogger's Note: USA release date is September 1, 2012.
Special thanks to Adrian C. for doing this wonderful review!

No comments:

Post a Comment