Saturday, August 18, 2012

[Book Review] Remember by Karen Kingsbury with Gary Smalley

Summary (from Amazon):
Convinced she could make it on her own, Ashley Baxter has kept the most important people in her life at a distance—her family, the man who loves her, and the God she is sure can never forgive her. Now, just as she begins to open her heart, the events of September 11 rip into Ashley’s world and she is led to heartbreaking and hope-filled decisions that will forever change her life. This story vividly illustrates that we must value others more than ourselves, and it drives home one of Gary Smalley’s key messages: Honor one another. Remember is second in the five-book Redemption series by Gary Smalley and Karen Kingsbury that centers around the Baxter family. As readers follow the hopes and struggles of the family, they will explore key relationship themes as well as the larger theme of redemption, both in characters’ spiritual lives and in their relationships. Each book includes study questions for individual and small-group use as well as a "teaser" chapter of the next book in the series.



I’ll start with saying I was right with my guess that Ashley was the main character on the book. I’m guessing there being a guy on the cover of Return, that it’s Luke’s book. As for Rejoice, it sounds like it could possibly be Brooke’s story and Reunion Erin’s.

Redemption – Kari
Remember – Ashley
Return – Luke
Rejoice – Brooke
Reunion – Erin

And with that being said, or written, I’ll get to the review over with.

I was super excited that Ashley was the main character of this book. There were a lot of questions about her past in Redemption that I felt needed to be answered. Now it’s the same with Luke, Brooke, and Erin, but I’m hoping all my questions will be answered by the series end.

Plot: I read on the back that it had to do with 9/11. So I waiting and waiting as I got closer to that happening. A friend had already told me that none of the Baxter kids died, but that it did affect their family. Boy, was she right.

I have to say that the plot was a little bit weaker than the first book, but was still good. Actually it makes up for it in romance.

Characters: I’m not going to lie; I fell in love with Landon Blake. He’s probably my favorite character in this book. He was sweet and caring. He was there for Ashley and Cole. As for another main male character, Luke, I found myself becoming frustrated with him. I won’t spoil what exactly lead me to become frustrated with him, but I have to say he makes some really dumb decisions in this book. I can only hope they’re fixed, in the third book.

Relationships: I think the most important relationship in these books is the relationship of the Baxter family. The series starts off with basically with two of the kids being in their own direction. The circumstances of the book cause most of the children to come together, but one does fall away from the family. Still, I love how most of the family came together when something tragic happened.

Romance: Landon and Ashley! Kari and Ryan! Umm, yeah. I can officially say that I love how Karen Kingsbury writes romance. It’s not the lets-make-out-in-every-scene type of romance that I’m used to reading in YA series, but the romance is still there. It’s definitely gentle and not in your face, which is perfect.

4 out of 5 stars to Remember by Karen Kingsbury with Gary Smalley

1 comment:

  1. This book had so much many Christians can relate to, we all make mistakes. I feel i connected most with Ashley mentally, I am 15 and struggle with my faith and my family a lot but i know god is always there for me even when i feel when i am most alone.

    ReplyDelete