Saturday, May 19, 2012

[Book Review] Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins


Summary (from Goodreads):
What if there were teens whose lives depended on being bad influences?
This is the reality for sons and daughters of fallen angels in Sweet Evil.
Tenderhearted Southern girl, Anna Whitt, was born with the sixth sense to see and feel emotions of other people. She’s aware of a struggle within herself, an inexplicable pull toward danger, but it isn’t until she turns sixteen and meets the alluring Kaidan Rowe that she discovers her terrifying heritage, and her will-power is put to the test. He’s the boy your daddy warned you about. If only someone had warned Anna.
Forced to face her destiny, will Anna embrace her halo or her horns?



This wasn’t the easiest book to read, in my opinion. But while there was a lot of things that I did not care for about the book, there was a lot of things that I did.

My sister took a three month course with our pastor about angels and all the information Wendy Higgins gave was accurate. Most of the times, authors don’t do all their research, but it seems Higgins really did. Also following the lines of being accurate, I felt the author did a great job of making it about demons and Neph, but not dissing God. As a Christian girl, I don’t like reading books that are solely out there to put down God. Also at the same time it wasn’t overly religious that can cause the book to be boring.

I felt the plot was a little weak a majority of the book. The whole idea of a daughter of a fallen one and a guardian angel is very intriguing, don’t get me wrong. I just felt like there needed to be more twist then there actually were.

As for the main character, Anna, I liked her a lot, but I felt like she was really just another teenage girl. Aside from her being half good, half evil, there was nothing that really made her special. She didn’t have a goal in life before finding out who she was. Hopefully that’ll change in the upcoming sequels. It took me a while to fall in love with Kaidan, but eventually I did start to feel bad for him and was rooting for him and Anna. Then there’s Kopano which in a way could make a love triangle, but for right now, Anna only has eyes for Kaidan. I hope Wendy Higgins touches on the whole triangle thing. Those are always fun.  

Now I have an ARC version and after confirming this with Wendy Higgins, I’ve learn that there is a different between the ARC version and the printed copy. So, this could or could not apply. The ending felt very closing almost as if it was a standalone. While there was some unanswered questions, I felt like the author could have left  it for the audience to fill in.

But since this isn’t a standalone and there is another book coming possibly next year… I’m looking forward to where the author takes the characters.

3 out of 5 stars for Sweet Wicked by Wendy Higgins.

No comments:

Post a Comment