Wednesday, May 9, 2012

[Book Review] The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner by Stephanie Meyers



Summary (from Amazon): Fans of The Twilight Saga will be enthralled by this riveting story of Bree Tanner, a character first introduced in Eclipse, and the darker side of the newborn vampire world she inhabits. In another irresistible combination of danger, mystery, and romance, Stephenie Meyer tells the devastating story of Bree and the newborn army as they prepare to close in on Bella Swan and the Cullens, following their encounter to its unforgettable conclusion.




As a fan that has read all four of the Twilight books and loved them, I was really disappointed with this short novella. I got this book because I actually liked Bree in the movies. One of the reasons being, she was on two episodes of my favorite show Smallville and I kinda liked seeing how the actress grew up. With that being said, I felt more attached to the Bree in the movie than I did in this 178 page book.

Why? I’m not completely sure, but I’ve pinpointed some possible reasons that together could be the overall reason for not enjoying the book as much as I hoped I would.

Maybe it had to do with the fact that the main character, Bree never really showed that she was worthy of being a main character. She was just another average girl that could was turned into a vampire making her an average vampire.

The same thing could be said about Bella, but what makes this book different from the four other Twilight books is the romance. Stephanie Meyers tried to give some romance in this short novella, but I just wasn’t feeling it. Diego pretty much forces himself on Bree and the only time she really admits to having feelings for him is when something bad has happened (I’m trying my best not to give spoilers, but if you’ve seen Eclipse, you know the newborns fate).

With that being said, I did enjoy the last 40ish pages or so. I finally felt like Bree was becoming the character I was hoping she was from the very beginning. If the rest of the novella had been like this, I might have enjoyed it more.  

Now before I make this review longer than the actual book, I’m signing off. As always thanks for reading!

2 out of 5 to The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner by Stephanie Meyers.

No comments:

Post a Comment