Saturday, April 7, 2012

[Book Review] Cloaked by Alex Flinn


Summary (from Amazon):
I'm not your average hero. I actually wasn't your average anything. Just a poor guy working an after-school job at a South Beach shoe repair shop to help his mom make ends meet. But a little magic changed it all.
It all started with a curse. And a frognapping. And one hot-looking princess, who asked me to lead a rescue mission.
There wasn't a fairy godmother or any of that. And even though I fell in love along the way, what happened to me is unlike any fairy tale I've ever heard. Before I knew it, I was spying with a flock of enchanted swans, talking (yes, talking!) to a fox named Todd, and nearly trampled by giants in the Everglades.
Don't believe me? I didn't believe it either. But you'll see. Because I knew it all was true, the second I got cloaked.


Alex Flinn has really made me love fairytale stories! I love how she adds her own twist to them. Having just met her about two months ago, I heard her talk about her reasoning for wanting to re-write fairytales and that made me fall even more with her books. Cloaked isn’t just one retelling of one fairytale, but instead it is seven small stories colliding into one.

I really liked the way Alex Flinn portrayed her characters in this novel. She wrote each character in their own unique way. Each character had their mission. Each character had what they were striving for.

Johnny, a poor shoemaker who wants to be so much more but is too afraid at first.  His journey throughout the entire book was really exciting.

Victoriana, a princess use to getting everything she wants. She’s the girl you love to hate because you wish you were her.  
Meg, Johnny’s best friend who makes the book teen times better. Seriously, she was my favorite character.
Alex Flinn is such a good story teller. She knows how to grab one vine and make it into an entire tree.  I’m pretty sure that every single fairytale book that she writes is going to be a hit.

5 out of 5 for Cloaked by Alex Flinn.  

No comments:

Post a Comment