Thursday, February 27, 2014

[Book Review] Pretty In Pearls by Tera Lynn Childs


Summary (from Goodreads):
Undersea romance with captivating merboys, deep friendship, and spectacular pearls.

Set in Tera Lynn Childs’ fin-flicking world that began with Forgive My Fins, this 100-page digital novella focuses on Periwinkle Wentletrap, Princess Lily’s best friend, and is perfect for fans of mermaids, light romance, and mythology retellings.

As Princess Lily’s emissary, Peri works hard to make sure her best friend knows all the goings on in the underwater kingdom of Thalassinia. The upcoming Sea Harvest Dance means plenty of fun for them, too, including shopping for jewels, trims, and dress making supplies. Peri especially loves the pearls she finds at Thalassinia’s marketplace—and she might be falling head over fins for Riatus, the thoughtful pearl trader who looks like a dashing pirate.

When Lily realizes her friend has a crush, she is determined to help them get together in time for the dance—except her matchmaking efforts backfire, sweeping Peri into dangerous depths and tangled in confusing tides. Should Peri give up on Riatus and find a different date to the Sea Harvest Dance, or will they finally find a way to float along the same current?




Author: Tera Lynn Childs

Series: Fins (Book #3.5)

Edition: ebook

Pages: 100

Genres: Young Adult, Fantasy, Mermaids

Published: January 7, 2014 by Katherine Tegen Books 

Reading Level: Teens 

Plot: Considering the novella was only a 100 pages, there was a lot of things that went on. When I heard Tera Lynn Childs was doing an e-book for her Fins series, I was expecting it to be as dark as it was. It was a nice surprise. 

That’s not to say that this is a dark book, because it definitely isn’t, but considering it was a short story, I thought there wasn’t a lot of room to make conflict. But then again this is Tera Lynn Childs and her writing is always amazing. 


Characters: Peri being Lily’s best friend gave readers just a fraction of insight as to who she is. There was more to her. I love how back and forth she was with her feelings for Riatus. Riatus is a character I wish I could read more of. I loved both Peri and Riatus’ characters when they interacted with each other. 


Relationships: I loved Lily and Peri’s friendship. Lily setting Peri up on a date was my favorite moment that the two of them shared in Pretty In Pearls. I’d love to read more stories that focused on their friendship.  


Romance: What I love about Tera Lynn Childs when it comes to her writing romance is the way she keeps her characters apart due to blank problem. A lot (and I mean A ALOT) of the YA books I’ve read put the couple together in the first 1/3 of the book then they must fight together to fix whatever blank problem they need to handle. 

Keeping the couple apart makes the story refreshing. It’s different from other books and so I like it. 


Way of Writing: I’ve always loved Tera Lynn Child’s writing. In Pretty In Pearls, I felt like Childs was able to explore the mermaid world in a way she hadn’t done before. She wrote about the mermaid world in her Fins books, but considering the entire novella was set there this time, she had to focus on it more. 


And since I hate reviews that come close to how long the book/story is, I’ll leave it with this:



4 OUT OF 5 STARS FOR PRETTY IN PEARLS BY TERA LYNN CHILDS 




Follow me on Twitter

Follow me on Instagram


No comments:

Post a Comment